BET STAKE CHART
Tuesday, 20 August 2013
Everton slam Manchester United's "derisory" double bid for Baines and Fellaini as feud escalates
Those bids were immediately rejected out of hand as derisory and insulting," says Everton statement
Escalating: Banies and Fellaini are at the centre of a feud between the two clubs
Everton's simmering feud with Manchester United has erupted into all-out war after they dismissed a joint £28million bid for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini as "derisory" and "insulting".
And the bad blood between the two clubs is set to escalate further with
ready to go straight back in for the pair.
Furious Blues chiefs
, though, are adamant United's behaviour has cost them any chance of signing Baines.
for Baines and Fellaini last week, which was confirmed by Everton yesterday, has proved to be the final insult for the Blues after a summer of slights.
Everton felt so aggrieved by United's behaviour they put out a statement saying: "Everton can confirm that it has received bids from Manchester United for two players.
"Those bids were immediately rejected out of hand as derisory and insulting."
Despite Everton's anger, United are in no mood to back down and are ready to up their offer to £33m.
It is understood United are prepared to pay £21m for Fellaini and £12m for Baines, and will make one last attempt to prise the pair away from Goodison Park.
The Blues' decision to go public came after what they see as months of United treating them with no respect.
They were upset after Moyes revealed Sir Alex Ferguson approached him before the Merseyside derby at the start of May when they were still chasing a Champions League place.
Leighton Baines is a long-term target for United
They became more annoyed when Moyes was pictured shuttling in and out of Carrington for weeks when he was still on their payroll before his official July 1 start date.
Everton's mood worsened when United made a £12million bid for Baines in June, which they immediately rejected and which they understood to be their final bid.
They were incensed when United chief executive Ed Woodward valued Baines at £12million again in the joint offer for Fellaini made last week.
Everton were already determined not to sell Baines to United out of principle and the champions' behaviour has only hardened their stance.
They have told Baines how they feel and the England left-back has accepted their position and will not agitate for a move away from Goodison Park.
Everton would be much more willing to negotiate over Fellaini, but not for £16million, which is £1.5million less than they paid Standard Liege for him.
The Belgian star's Goodison contract does not expire until 2016 and Everton would want closer to £30million to tempt them to do business.
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)